When in Doubt Clear Your Bin
- April 29, 2010 1:11 PM
- Microsoft Tools, Mystery Error Message
- Comments (0)
This is a reminder to myself, and anyone facing down a weird error message when trying to build their ASP.NET application: you need to try clearing out your Bin folder and rebuilding it. I've 'fixed' probably a dozen build problems so far just by clearing out my Bin and rebuilding the application. To clear your Bin folder:
- Find your project file in Visual Studio and left click it.
- Go up to the icons in your Solution Explorer and click 'Show All Files'.
- Find your Bin folder in your project, and right click it.
- Click 'Open File in Windows Explorer'.
- Select everything in the folder (Ctrl + A) and delete it.
- Rebuild your application.
I've got no idea why there were errors with my applications, or why this fixed them, but its always a good first line of defense. If you've got an error message you can't figure out, clean out your bin.